Prep in : 15 M
Cooks in : 45 M
Total in : 60 M
Makes : 3-4 Servings
For biryani masala
- 1 tablespoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 1 tablespoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 5 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 5 Clove powder (Laung)
- 4 Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- Oil , as required
- 2 Onions , finely sliced
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 4 Cloves (Laung)
- 3 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 Star anise
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1-1/2 cups Prawns , cleaned and deveined
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 tablespoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1 cup Mint Leaves (Pudina) , chopped
- Salt , to taste
How to make Prawns Biryani Recipe
- To begin making the Prawns Biryani recipe, firstly dry roast the ingredients mentioned under Biryani Masala like the ajwain seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and grind them into a fine powder.
- Add oil in a wok/kadhai and saute the onions on medium heat till the onions are brownish and crispy.
- Soak basmati rice in water for about 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add cleaned and deveined prawns, turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of biryani masala, red chilli powder, half lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 cup of chopped mint leaves, 1/2 of the fried onions and curd.
- Combine everything well with the prawns and set aside for about an hour.
- In a medium sized saucepan, add 5 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of biryani masala, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, 1/4 cup of mint leaves, 1 tablespoon of oil and remaining salt.
- Boil water over high flame.
- To the boiling water, add the soaked rice and cook on high flame for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Do not overcook the rice. Overcooking rice may make them mushy and rice might break.
- Drain the water from the rice immediately and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in another medium wide saucepan, spread the remaining half tablespoon of oil on the bottom of the pan
- Spread the marinated prawns as the bottom layer of the pan.
- Add half of the remaining fried onions and spread them evenly above the prawns. Sprinkle the mint leaves evenly. Layer the rice over the prawn masalas and spread them evenly.
- Garnish with the leftover fried onions. Dissolve a pinch of saffron in hot water and pour them on top of the layered rice.
- Cover the pot with the lid and cook the layered rice on high flame for about 10 minutes. Do not open the lid while cooking.
- Reduce the flame and cook the biryani for about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and remove the lid after 15 minutes of resting time.
- Combine the biryani well such that the masalas and rice is well combined . Do not stir hard as rice might break.
- Garnish with cilantro and it is ready to be served.